ASHP's dedication to our employees and fostering a collaborative work environment has been recognized across multiple years with national awards such as Top Workplaces USA and Best Place to Work by Modern Health Care. We have also been recognized regionally as a Top Workplace by the Washington Post. ASHP is committed to an inclusive culture where all employees feel welcome to express their ideas and contribute in a meaningful way to our mission.
ASHP is seeking a dedicated and experienced meeting professional with a proven track record in the meetings industry to join the dynamic Conference and Convention Division. Successful candidates will use their excellent meeting planning, collaboration, and project management to support the team in the logistical planning, implementation, and execution of ASHP’s conferences and meetings. Candidates will also have an active role in supporting the travel needs of the organization.
This position is based in our Bethesda, MD office. Our office has a hybrid working environment, with a combination of onsite and remote work.Please note that ASHP requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and candidates will be required to show proof of being fully vaccinated upon commencing employment. Reasonable accommodations will be considered on a case-by-case basis for exemptions to this requirement in accordance with applicable law
What You'll Be Doing at ASHP:
- Responsible for planning and managing ASHP conferences and meetings, as assigned, including detailed project management of meeting design, project timelines, and budget development and oversight as required.
- Responsible for and manages logistical needs for ASHP conferences and meetings, as assigned, including but not limited to the development of meeting specifications, audio visual requirements, food and beverage requirements, supplier orders, electrical requirements, and internet and telecommunication requirements.
- Responsible for ASHP housing process, including staff and speaker reservations, room block management, and communication for conferences and meetings, as assigned.
- Develops and conducts meeting hotel Request for Proposals (RFPs) and provides recommendations on site selection based on meeting criteria.
- Negotiates contractual terms and conditions as required with hotels, special event venues, transportation companies, and destination management companies, as assigned and required.
- Generates and contributes to the development of conference website copy, newsletters, and printed communication.
- Collaborates with internal and external stakeholders and teams to ensure ASHP conference and meeting goals are achieved.
- Creates and prepares conference briefings, debriefings, and post-convention reports, and suggests improvements in procedures, methods and cost controls.
- Maintains budget spreadsheets, provides cost estimates and maintains conference and meeting activities within budgeted expense.
- Responsible for reviewing and reconciliation of meeting bills and expenses in a timely manner.
- Manages staff assignment process for ASHP meetings as assigned.
- Travels to site visits/planning trips, conferences and meetings as assigned, and provides on-site logistical support to ensure proper execution of the conference and meetings.
- Provides support in the management of ASHP’s travel management company and works with internal and external stakeholders to ensure ASHP policies are achieved and adhered to.
- Provides operational support for ASHP travel needs, included but not limited to management of the dedicated travel mailbox, resolving issues for travelers, creating and modifying profiles, password resets, creation of new traveler accounts, etc.
- Reviews and provides travel policy updates and recommendations.
What You Bring To ASHP:
- Requires a bachelor’s degree, plus a working knowledge of the meeting management, special events, hotel and venue contracting.
- Certified Meeting Professional (CMP) a plus.
- Requires a minimum of five years of prior related work experience.
- Prior experience in association meeting management, hotel, or convention centers a plus.
- Project management skills with the ability to coordinate workflow, determine priorities, meet deadlines, and effectively balance competing demands.
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills with demonstrated ability to develop quality documents and correspondence.
- Highly organized and detail-oriented. Demonstrated ability to prioritize and manage multiple activities in a fast-paced environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively across organizations.
- High degree of flexibility.
- Ability to self-start, as well as work as part of a team.
- Financial management skills, including the ability to develop and maintain a budget
- Proven delivery of complex medium and large scale conferences, including in-person and virtual.
- Ability to travel to meetings and represent the association in a professional manner. It is estimated that the travel requirement will be in the range of 10% to 15%, depending on business needs. All travel will be domestic travel.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Adobe AcrobatPro.
ASHP is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, age, gender, sexual preference, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, marital status, family status, genetic information, pregnancy, parenthood, political affiliation, veteran’s status, disability, or any other protected status.
If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by email at email@example.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. Requests for accommodation will be considered on a case-by-case basis. Please note that only inquiries concerning a request for reasonable accommodation will be responded to from this e-mail address. In addition, ASHP is an E Verify employer.
For more information click on the following links:
EEO - Know Your Rights
Employee Polygraph Protection Act Rights Poster
Employee Rights under the Family and Medical Leave Act Poster
ASHP is an E Verify Employer Poster